Sunday, August 18, 2013

Have a little faith- or a lot.

Today I was blessed to have God speak to me and also answer a prayer within just 3 hours of praying. 

This morning during church I had to excuse myself to go to the restroom and have a chat with God. I asked him to bring someone into my life to help me through what I'm going through. I told him I cannot handle it on my own but I will not lose faith in Him. The character of God is described by some to be complex but to me his character can be described quite simply- God is faithful, God is loving, God is just, God is merciful, but God is sovereign. God is the only thing that has remained constant throughout my whole life. God does not change.

About 12 weeks ago I asked God to present me with a trial because my life had become too cushioned and my faith didn't feel like it was being challenged. Not 2 weeks later my brother's wife left him. That has been extremely hard to watch my brother go through.
Then shortly after that I was presented with the opportunity to go to Uganda. I was elated! Then four weeks ago my husband informed me (with my knowledge & consent) that we are indeed going to sell our house and that it needs to be on the market by this weekend. I am working hard trying to pack up my home but also make it show-ready (we've only lived in it for 16 months so it is not much work) while also trying to help my brother pack up his wife's belongings and also preparing for a fundraiser garage sale, & the Africa trip in general. Then not to mention it is time to start putting up my vegetables and fruit.

It didn't occur to me until last week that I cannot possibly do all of the things that need to be done before it is time to move. But I know God is faithful.

 The missionary today at lunch mentioned that we are not to get anxious...about ANYTHING. The verses that came to my mind when I heard that were Philippians 4:6-7.  "Do 
not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God, and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

This missionary was the someone I asked God to bring into my life just 3 hours prior to my hearing his testimony. God is faithful. My oh my is He faithful!

I have struggled with feeling like I live too lavishly and too comfortably and my faith isn't tested or being strengthened enough. Then this past week it occurred to me that if/when our house sells, we will not have a house to move into. But we do own an office building that we will be able to live in. There is no shower or kitchen but we can manage. God is faithful. 

Selling our house is a leap of faith that we want to honor God with our finances and get out of debt. By doing this we feel we will be obeying His command of not having outstanding debt. 

I have faith in my husband. I believe in him and I believe he is getting wisdom from The Lord. But if we are wrong in trying to sell our house, and The Lord doesn't want it to sell (or want us to move) then it won't. God is sovereign.

My flesh wants to get angry or scared that we may not have a secure place to live but I trust in God and I trust in my husband. Where they lead me, I will follow. 

I thank God for allowing me to hear the testimonies of the missionaries. They were exactly what I asked for and said exactly what I needed to hear. I pray that someday I can have the faith that they have and continually serve The Lord by faith and perseverance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment