I haven't given God enough time the past couple weeks and I can always tell when I'm struggling with sin or with feeling distant from Him, it's because I am distancing myself subconsciously because I haven't repented yet.
Sin separates us from God. That's the bottom line. When we are continually sinning, especially the same sins, we cannot be as close to God as He wants us to be.
Isaiah 59:2 says, "But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear."
And David wrote in Psalm 40:11-13, "Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O LORD; let Your loving kindness and Your truth continually preserve me. For innumerable evils have surrounded me; my iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of my head; therefore my heart fails me. Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me; O LORD, make haste to help me!"
Continuing in Psalm 40:14-17, "May all who want to take my life be put to shame and confusion; may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace. May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!” be appalled at their own shame. But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!” But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay."
I really LOVE v16. "But may all who seek You rejoice an be glad in You; may those who long for your salvation continually say, Great is the LORD!" (ESV)
These verses tell me that not only does send separate us from God but even David continually suffered from multiple sins that we don't even know about. But as believers we are held up to a higher standard. We are called to live holy lives. One definition of holy is, "to be dedicated or consecrated to God..." (Quick google search)
This is not optional- it is a command. But there is hope!
1 John 5:1-5 says, "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. (1 John 5:1-5 NIV, italics and underlining added)"
Then the real hope comes in verses 11 and 12. "And this is the testimony, that God have us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. Whoever had the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son does not have life." (1 John 5:11-12) John is talking about eternal life.
Do you have the Son? Do you, like me, have unrepentant sin? Let's get it taken care of and get back to our purpose on this earth- to GLORIFY God!
I'll leave you with this:
"Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." (Isaiah 43:7, italics and underline added.)
Go and sin no more!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment