I have been home for about 12 days now. I have had the opportunity to share with a lot of people the impact Africa had on us as a team. So many things have changed in my heart since leaving Africa. Even my appearance has changed!
I had 2 African ladies braid my hair the last day I left. Cathy arranged it and I absolutely love it! My husband, that's another story :)
God has been working on my heart so much. As I mentioned previously, He had already begun working on my heart long before this trip took place. It has been hard trying to nail down the things God is asking me to do or change in my life. I have been talking to several ladies about what to do with all of this knowledge an experiences we have gained. I need to thank Jenny, Amy, Sara, and Grandma Jeanne for helping me sort out these struggles! And Mama, Elizabeth and Connie for the future talks we are going to have- I know I will be inspired by you soon! God has used all of you ladies in my life in so many ways! THANK YOU!
So far we (God, Amy, and I) have come up with 3 things I believe will help impact my life in the next 12 months. 3 things I feel God calling me to do and give up to better understand how excessive this American way of life is and how much sin it causes.
1. I will go 12 months without purchasing any clothing for myself. I feel that unnecessary purchasing of clothing may not necessarily be a sin I struggle with, but it is definitely something I don't NEED. I have a closet and a half FULL of clothing and I believe the money could be better used elsewhere to further God's kingdom or to help us become completely debt-free. Last night I even had a dream that I was in a new store and there were some really good deals and I was reminded that I cannot purchase clothes so I had to walk away. My subconscious is even thinking about this!! If I really feel the need for a special outfit, I will ask to borrow from a friend. Lookout ladies who are my size ;) also know that my clothes are up for borrowing too! Sara and I already do this actually!
2. This year, I will not spend even $1 on Christmas gifts this year. This will be HARD for me. I typically have an envelope in which I put $25-50 each month away to spend on Christmas for my friends and family. I usually spend $500 or so on this holiday. FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!! That is so ridiculous. I will still, however, make my Christmas food plates with my friends Rebekah and Bethany. It's a neat tradition and so fun to give them away and see the smiles on people's faces! This year my husband and I will not be purchasing any gifts for each other (I will still make him something homemade of course). But we will finally see Christmas as the holiday God intended it to be. TO CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF CHRIST!!!! Stop and ponder that. The Birth of our SAVIOR! The reason we have eternal life. The greatest gift we will ever receive! How do we manage to neglect praising our Father for this??
I haven't gone so far to swear off gifts completely, but any gift I GIVE, will be homemade or something we have in our possession already and do not need. (This goes against everything American culture has taught us!) I am really struggling on accepting gifts too. I have a wonderful mama whose love language is gift giving so it would be almost impossible for her to not give Les or I a gift so I have asked her for a simple machine-sewed quilt :) I would love if the gifts given were monetary or item donations to the Tender Hearts Baby's home!
3. Finally, I will not be purchasing any craft supplies for the next 12 months either. No Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's visits. I am considering having an option for fabric purchasing should I make a quilt or something. But I desire to use the yarn I already HAVE for my projects this year and to cease purchasing unnecessary sale or clearance items that "maybe I will need someday!" (DISCLAIMER AS OF 2-5-14: I forgot that I said no "craft supplies" and thought I wrote "no yarn" and I have purchased craft supplies such as fabric and ribbon trim in 2014. I feel guilty now for not remembering my promise!)
If you know me well, these 3 challenges are not going to be easy for me. God challenged me on 3 areas I struggle SO MUCH in. Especially Christmas! But I foresee this Christmas being my most memorable yet with simply celebrating the birth of my Savior instead of celebrating the giving of gifts. I am so excited for it!!
So now I am going to challenge you! What if you and your family trimmed down on Christmas gifts this year? Maybe spent just HALF of your usual Christmas budget and donated the rest of that to the Tender Hearts Baby's Home or another Christian organization God lays on your heart? What if? How much are you willing to give UP (up to heaven)? Give it up to God! Let's work a revival in this country! Let's stop the unnecessary spending (that sounds like the National Budget talk) and give that money to further the KINGDOM OF GOD!!! What are YOU doing to further God's kingdom!? If you aren't doing anything physically, then I challenge you to do it financially!!! My mentor Connie and her husband mentioned this to my husband and I and it has resonated in my heart ever since.
How far are you willing to go to radically change your life? Let's start giving UP!!!
Go in God's grace!!
This is a picture of the best time I had with the sweet children- coloring and drawing. I have some of their work. So precious!


No comments:
Post a Comment